Sunday, May 27, 2007

Baby Shower Knits

I know I've basically disappeared from blogging lately. Hopefully I'll become better, but life has been hectic lately. I've been planning a wedding, buying a house, applying for new jobs, and knitting. It is no wonder there isn't time for writing about it!



Last week I went to a good friend's baby shower and finished two handknits for her. I procrastinated on the finishing until the very end - in fact, the morning of the baby shower I knit the garter stitch border, bound off, and blocked the blanket while I sewed buttons on the baby sweater! On to details about the knits:

Pattern: Cabled Baby Blanket from Debbie Bliss SimplyBaby
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino (in Leaf?)
Notes: I learned to cable without a cable needle on this project. I liked the pattern of the blanket because it kept my interest longer, but still near the end I was dreading knitting on this project. Again I've promised that I will not knit baby blankets as gifts, but we'll see how long that lasts.

I almost a whole skein of the yarn left because I ran out of time to do another pattern repeat. Luckily I have a lot of other colors of the same yarn, so I'll just need to make a striped sweater later!


Sorry for the low-quality pictures, again this was done the morning of the shower so I didn't have a lot of time! Luckily the recipient is a photographer, so I hope to receive better photos of my knits once the baby arrives!

Detail of cable pattern:
Pattern: Seamless Yoked Baby Sweater - free pattern from the internet (Note: I was able to find a copy by opening the cached page in google, but the original site with the pattern has been taken down)

Yarn: Bernat Softee Baby in white/blue/teal/purple variegated

This was such an easy pattern that I finished it in only a few weeks. I still believe that this sweater looks too girly with the colors. I was torn between putting girly buttons on it and giving it to a different recipient or trying to make it as boyish as possible and give it to its intended recipient. Ultimately, I went with little dog buttons to make it "masculine." Hopefully it will look cute with a baby boy!

I hated the yarn color in this sweater. I will never use cheap variegated yarns again. I thought it might make it look cuter, but it just looked like - well I'll let you see for yourself!

Close up of buttons and collar details:



Sit tight and you may get an update about the actual baby shower!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home